I was one of the lucky 100 who attended the 2011 Food Bloggers Indaba this passed weekend that hosted by the ever gracious @CollyWolly. A great day was had by all and even though the print and social media people weren’t quite talking the same language, the one thing we all had in common was our love, deep seated, unbridled LOVE for food.
Part of the Indaba was about being treated by food-related sponsors. Eat out, Taste Mag, Fresh Living, Bakers, Fairview and the Food Lovers Market are only the tip of the iceberg. Primative Vodka, Verlaque, SAB, Madecasse, Woolworths, Pick n Pay and of course my favourite people this side of the equator, Yuppiechef with the piece de resistance, the Wusthof pairing knives. Carrying that bag out with me was SO worth the spluttering!
So where does the pesto come in, I hear you utter. I have never been a lover of pesto. There’s something about that green “Incredible Hulk” colouring, combined with a slick of grease that has never left me feeling anything but well…green… until I got home on Monday evening and was ravenous! I looked across the room and there she was, the Greek Pesto Princess. Vibrantly emerald, studded with cashews, feta and lemon and she spoke to me. She said “Ms_K, tonight we feast”. And what emerged was a chicken and pesto, couscous salad. deelish!
Ingredients: (serves 1)
1 piece of free range chicken, on the bone and de-skinned
salt & pepper to taste
¼ tsp garlic and ginger paste
¼ tsp olive oil
1 – 2 tsp Pesto Princess’ Greek-style pesto
¼ cup of couscous
¼ cup of boil water
a cheek of lemon
1. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, garlic and ginger and place in a small pot with a slick of olive oil. Cook for 20 – 25 mins until crisp
2. Shred the chicken off the bone and set aside
3. Bring the water to the boil and season couscous before submerging. Cover for 5 mins and fluff with a fork.
4. Mix shredded chicken with pesto and combine with couscous
5. Place couscous and chicken on salad leaves of your choice with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.